Thursday, May 16, 2002

by John Steele

[Note: There are some things in this piece that I disagree with, but I am publishing it in toto because, although it may not have been his original intention to do so, Comrade Steele makes herein an almost unanswerable case for our Racially Conscious Community to undergo a thorough re-think of every aspect of our tactics and strategy and perform a complete change of direction. The history of our so-called "Movement", as outlined here, speaks for itself. We are all capable of reading this article and drawing the appropriate conclusions, and we had damned well better do so and act on those conclusions. WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME. - HAC]

(This article was compiled during the months of April and May 2002)

On August 25, 1967, Commander George Lincoln Rockwell, the courageous leader of the American Nazi Party since its 1958 inception was assassinated in Arlington, Virginia. Both friend and foe alike largely believed that the party would fall overnight and disappear into the obscurity of history. Predictably, the fractionalization began almost immediately.

Although none of the subsequent organizers lived up to Rockwell's legacy in terms of charisma and organizational abilities (in all fairness, this would be nearly impossible for anyone), there were some moments of extreme sacrifice, accomplishment and heroism that cannot be overlooked. Longtime activist and author James Mason is currently compiling a book covering the 1958-1967 years of the Party. It is this author's hope that this brief summary will serve as a kind of epilogue. Just as the post 1967 leaders did not quite fill the shoes of their fallen leader, this article does not profess to be on equal footing with Mr. Mason's work. It is only one American National Socialist's tribute to an era in which he participated, albeit in a very small way.

The perceptive reader will notice that Klan, Identity, Creator, Populist and independent activists are conspicuous by their nearly total absense from this essay. This does not, by any stretch of the imagination, imply that leaders and members of the above named factions were/are any less dedicated and sincere in their activity. Put bluntly, this author does not have the knowledge of those factions and their leaders that would be required to adequately compile an essay on their histories. Perhaps someone actively involved in one or more of these organizations could perform this function.

A very important point to make here and now is that while details of old feuds and splinterings are mentioned for the purpose of acknowledging that they took place, this article is not intended to 'slag' anyone mentioned within. This is only a statement of events AS THEY HAPPENED, to the best of this author's knowledge. Readers can (and surely will) take any 'slant' they see fit.

A final point to be considered by the reader is that while exact (or at least approximate) dates are given whenever possible, this essay does NOT follow a precise time line. The reason for this is because many of the activities and events described herein took place within the same general time frame (often within months or weeks of one another). Also, source documents are rather scarce and memories (both of this author and his scant sources) have unfortunately faded somewhat. Accuracy is the obvious intent, however apologies are extended in advance for any minor discrepencies that may appear herein due to human error (or forgetfulness, if you will...)

This author would like to hereby acknowledge the assistance provided by James Mason in providing some of the dates and other specifics from activities that took place during the 1970's.

After the Commander's assassination, Matt Koehl, who had been Rockwell's research chief, emerged as his successor and Commander of the National Socialist White People's Party.(1.) For a time, the party remained largely unified behind their new Commander. The party continued its tradition of openly openly "Nazi" demonstrations up until the early 1970's.

In 1973, purgings and defections became the order of the day. California Captain Joseph Tommasi was expelled from the party, allegedly for accepting money from the Republican Party to disrupt the Democratic campaign. (See N.S.L.F. entry below) In 1983, the Arlington headquarters was shut down, the name officially changed to The New Order and full time operations moved to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Some prominent visitors to the headquarters included the post WWII National Socialist philosopher Savitri Devi and Adolf Hitler's personal pilot Hans Bauer. As of this time, the group exists largely removed from other N.S. organizations. Over the course of the next few years, the party would split off into several subgroups,and these groups in turn branched off into yet more cells.

Allen Lee Vincent started out fighting shoulder to shoulder with Commander Rockwell in 1964. Almost immediately following Rockwell's death, Vincent split with the old N.S.W.P.P. to form the National Socialist White Worker's Party. Displaying exceptional bravery in the face of adversity, it was not unusual to see Vincent in full brownshirt uniform bringing the message of National Socialism to crowds in the form of one man rallies across the state of California. Those wishing to see this man and his brave stormtroopers in action need only rent the video 'California Reich', a documentary made about the West Coast Nazi movement of the late 1970's. Vincent's activity continued up until the early 1980's when the brave warrior at last went into what amounted to a state of retirement. In 1997, Vincent returned to active duty as chief advisor to the newly reformed National Socialist Movement. This activity included at least one rally-turned-riot in April of 1998 in which the then 66 year old Vincent was said to have put up a front line fight against hundreds of U.S. communists and jews. Sadly, this brave warrior for our people from throat cancer on July 11, 1999.

It should also be mentioned briefly here that a group bearing the name 'N.S.W.W.P.' existed for a time in West Palm Beach, Florida during the early 1990's, however this group was not officially tied to Vincent.

The National Socialist Movement was founded by Cincinatti, Ohio resident Robert Brannen in 1974. Brannen's exact date of membership in the N.S.W.P.P. is unknown, however it is believed he joined the Arlington crew just after the death of Commander Rockwell. His overall movement history extended to pre-World War II activity with Father Coughlin and a stint with a Klan faction soon thereafter. The N.S.M. eventually came to be something of an umbrella group for organizations such as the National Socialist Liberation Front, the National Socialist Party of America and the SS Action Group, although by the late 1970's many Comrades within these groups had broken away from the N.S.M. heirarchy.

The N.S.M. was later resurrected (with the blessings of the aging and ailing Brannen) in the mid-1990's under the capable leadership of Commander Jeff Schoep. At the time this essay was written, the reconstructed N.S.M. had units in the cities of Minneapolis, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Louisiana, Ohio, Kansas, New York and Nebraska. They also work closely with the National Socialist Irish Worker's Party as well as N.S. comrades in England.

It should be further stated that the N.S.M. is the only National Socialist group in existence at this time that holds uniformed public demonstrations. Regardless of the drawbacks and risks involved, this type of activity goes a long way toward putting both friend and foe on notice that the struggle did NOT end in 1945.

On February 14, 1977, openly Nazi Fred Cowan (a weight lifter of tremendous proportions who was also a U.S. army veteran) committed what was most likely the first post 1945 National Socialist armed assault with known fatalities against the powers that be in New Rochelle, New York.

Bursting into the furniture moving company that had suspended him the week before, the browshirt and black beret wearing Cowan fired at two of his black coworkers, killing both of them instantly. As another black employee turned to run, he too was cut down by Cowan's high powered rifle. Continuing on into the workplace, Cowan fired through the cafeteria window, killing an indian immigrant. Within approximately 10 minutes from the beginning of the rampage, a White police officer arrived on the scene and yelled for the shooter to surrender. Cowan responded by firing at him (the cop later died). In the ensuing hours, several more police officers were wounded by gunfire as this one man 'Einsatzgruppe' continued to exchange gunfire with the system's troops.

The main target of Cowan's wrath, his jew boss, escaped unharmed and Cowan was found dead by the police later that evening, ostensibly the victim of a self administered gunshot to the head.

While the objects of Cowan's assault were certainly petty and not worthy of the loss of his life, the spirit and raw courage that he showed on that day have seldom been equalled. The N.S.M., while lamenting the waste of this 33 year old man's life, vigorously defended his valor in their bulletins that followed the attack. This author also published a personal tribute to him in the late Summer/Early Fall 1992 issue of On Guard.

Whereas Cowan's assault was what Time magazine described as a one man Blitzkrieg, 32 year old Ohio National Socialist Frank Spisak's campaign stretched throughout the latter part of 1982 and encompassed the shooting deaths of at least two negroes and one liberal (possibly Jewish) college employee. When the action and trial proceedings had ended, Spisak was sentenced to death for the murders on August 10, 1983. At the conclusion of his pre sentencing statement, Spisak proclaimed a loud and and unapologetic 'Heil Hitler' to the courtroom. The fact that he was also a transgendered person put the 'orthodox' Nazi movement in a quandry: To deny his dedication and committment to the cause would be tantamount to treason. To acknowledge the same would be seen as going soft on 'queers.' Sadly (and disgracefully) the overall response was to simply ignore Francis (his actual birthname and the name he prefers) Spisak and allow the system to swallow him up as another number. This author has written to Spisak in the past and is currently (after a brief break in correspondence) back in contact with this brave warrior. [See my own prior comments on Movement homosexuality in this weblog. - HAC]

Joe Paul Franklin, a 1970's era member of the N.S.W.P.P. made a decision in 1977 to move from the strictly 'political' phase into the armed revolution phase. His main method of attack was sniper gunfire (although he was also convicted of bombing at least one synagogue in Chattanooga, Tennessee), and his targets included primarily racially mixed couples. No one knows exactly how many people were cut down during Franklin's one man armed struggle which lasted in sporadic bursts from 1977-1980. In a September 1997 Gallery magazine interview, Franklin admits that he himself does not know the exact number of people that he has killed, although the general belief is that the numbers range from 13-20.

Joseph is currently sitting in a Missouri prison fighting the death sentence imposed on him for the murder of a jew outside a Richmond Heights, Missouri synagouge. It should be pointed out that while he has never renounced his general racialist views, Franklin no longer considers himself to be a National Socialist and has renounced Hitler as a "tool of the Learned Elders of Zion."

Rivaled only by the N.S.W.W.P., the Chicago based National Socialist Party of America was one of the most active groups from June 23, 1970 until around 1982 in terms of street rallies. Initially led by Frank Collin, this small but determined band of Stormtroopers participated in literally hundreds of demonstrations and mini-demonstrations during that era. Marquette Park (then an all White suburb of Chicago) was a favored area in this respect. Building on the support that Commander Rockwell found there during his 1966 visit, Collin and the N.S.P.A. amassed a sizeable support base in and around this region.

Their headquarters (a storefront named Rockwell Hall that routinely displayed flags and insignia) was firebombed at least twice during these years, although overall support from the was community at large was quite strong.

By far the most famous claim to fame in the history of the N.S.P.A. was their 'Operation Skokie.' After years of court appeals, the U.S. Supreme Court eventually held that the Party could march through the predomenently jewish suburb of Skokie in full Nazi uniform and with flags and pickets signs depicting anti-jew/pro-White messages. Although the N.S.P.A. never actually marched as planned, the court decision (which effectively struck down all prohibitions against National Socialist symbols and slogans) was a priceless victory for all American Nazis.

Toward the end of the 1970's, dissention rocked the N.S.P.A. when videotapes showing Collin engaging in sexual activity with minor boys ages 10-14 were provided (by his own men) to Chicago police. Collin served seven years on statutory rape-related charges, reportedly renouncing his NS past some years later.

On November 3, 1979, the Communist Worker's Party (as well as fellow travellers) hosted a 'death to the Klan' rally in Greensboro, North Carolina. Imagine their surprise when both Nazi and Klan street fighters showed up ready to do battle! Responding to a barrage from the enemy of bottles and bricks followed by gunfire, several White nationalists withdrew loaded guns from their own car trunks and returned fire. When the shooting had stopped, five members of the C. W. P. lay dead and fourteen loyal White men (eleven Klansmen and three N.S.P.A. members) were held on charges including murder. Although our comrades did expend considerable money defending their cases in court (the enemy's surviving relatives did eventually win a civil suit against the city of Greensboro for 'negligence'), no N.S. or Klan comrades served actual prison sentences.

As an interesting side note, John Hinckley (the man who attempted to assassinate then President Ronald Reagan in 1981) was at one time a card carrying member of the N.S.P.A. Prior to the attempt on Reagan's life, he had been expelled as an unstable person.

Harold Covington emerged as the new leader of the Party, however the group effectively ceased to exist by 1982. Covington later went on to found (with varying degrees of success) organizations such as the Confederate National Congress, Dixie Press and even a revamped version of the N.S.W.P.P. (entirely separate from any Koehl influences). These organizations were at various times centered in North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas and Seattle. At this time, Covington's main priority lies in helping to secure a homeland for our Folk in the Northwestern states of Idaho, Washington and Oregon (an idea originally put forth by the late Robert Miles of Michigan and Pastor Richard G. Butler of the Idaho based Aryan Nations/Church of Jesus Christ, Christian.) Although his opinions regarding other National Socialists and racialists in general are at times overly harsh, Covington has, as an individual, always impressed this author as an honest chap.

By the early 1980's, Gerhard Lauck (publisher of the N.S.P.A.'s New Order newspaper, not to be confused with the later day Koehl organization of the same name) broke away from the dying N.S.P.A. and went on to form the NationalSozialistische Deutsche ArbeiterPartei- Auslands Organisation (National Socialist German Workers Party- Overseas Organization). As proprietor of the world's largest single selection of National Socialist related books, flags and recordings, Lauck has, over the past decade, published newspapers in no fewer than 12 languages and established a website that offers multilingual downloads of Nazi material. Amazingly, even Lauck's four year stint in a German prison (Lauck was abducted by Danish authorities while in Europe and turned over to German police for the 'crime' of sending National Socialist materials into Deutschland) did not slow his organization down one bit. Comrade Michael Storm handled the day to day operations in Lauck's place. Support for the N.S.D.A.P.-A.O. is now at a record highpoint.

"On March 2nd, 1974, forty three National Socialist Revolutionaries met in a hall in El Monte, California. At the meeting, the National Socialists declared their lack of faith in the losing strategy of the mass movement idea. The National Socialists abandoned the mass strategy and adopted the revolutionary concept of the guerilla underground." So began the manefesto of the National Socialist Liberation Front, without a doubt the most militant of all post Rockwell National Socialist organizations. To this day, many (if not most) of the underground 'strikes' committed by this small but brave band of Comrades remain unknown or are only vaguely suspected. Strong evidence does suggest that activists involved in the N.S.L.F. were responsible for tear gassing a memorial rally for Julius and Ethyl Rosenberg (Jewish spies executed for selling U.S. atomic secrets to the Soviet Union) as well as the torching of at least one communist bookstore. Sadly, the courageous life of Joseph Tomassi came to an end on August 15, 1975 at just 24 years of age. Fingers were pointed on both sides, but the story essentially is that Tomassi and another comrade were driving past the then N.S.W.P.P. building when one of the on duty guards flipped a middle finger at him. Tomassi then stopped the car and confronted the on duty trooper. After a brief scuffle, another guard on duty drew a gun and fired one shot into Tomassi's head, killing him then and there on the porch of the N.S.W.P.P.'s headquarters. (It is unclear whether or not Tomassi was himself armed at the time.) Lieutenant David Rust took over as party Captain. Karl Hand later assumed leadership of the party, however Hand's mid-1980's prison sentence on firearms related charges effectively ended this organization. Karl Hand continues to work as an independent activist within the White nationalist movement.

“The Voice of thinking Americans.” This was the letterhead for the longtime Reedy, West Virginia based racialist publication The Liberty Bell. Although no Swastikas could be found on its pages, this high quality, digest sized magazine frequently contained articles supportive of Adolf Hitler, the Third Reich and/or then-N.S. political prisoner Rudolf Hess.

While never one for public rallies and/or meetings, publisher and L.B. creator George P. Dietz has a long and honorable history in the National Socialist struggle both in the U.S. and overseas. Born in Germany, Dietz was a member of the Hitler Youth toward the end of WWII.

Contributing writers to the L.B. included the late, great racialist writer (and former Professor of the Classics at the University of Illinois) Revilo P. Oliver, Major Joseph Stano and Dr. Charles E. Weber. Dietz once remarked that he and his associates "lived and breathed National Socialism." Articles such as "Did Six Million Really Die- A Review ", "Poland and the Lies of the Allies " and "Hitler Speaks To America " certainly confirm this statement and entitle Mr. Dietz to a place of honor within the American National Socialist cause.

This author tried contacting George Dietz on April 28 of this year for further information regarding his movement history, but the only answer he received was as follows: "I'm not answering any questions. Liberty Bell was discontinued in 1999. I'm going out of business." Best wishes were then extended to Mr. Dietz who said, "Thank you, good bye" and hung up.

Formed initially as a security detachment for the Nazi bookstores run by Bill Russell (coordinator for the Detroit branch of the N.S.M. during the late 1970's), the Security Services Action Group was founded as an independent group in Detroit in 1979 by John Moriarity (a.k.a. John Reich) and Ted Dunn (a.k.a. Mark Heydrich) after a bitter split in which all local members took the side of Reich following his expulsion by Brannen. A Chicago chapter was soon formed and in years to come the SS Action Group would boast of chapters in New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania as well.

From 1980-1993, the S.S.A.G. hosted an array of street demonstrations that rocked the streets of Detroit and its surrounding suburbs. Highlights included several rallies in Ann Arbor, Michigan in which various communist groups such as the Progressive Labor Party, International Committee Against Racism and the Spartacist League attacked the Action Group in large numbers, often resulting in extensive damage both to city property and their own members at the hands of the Detroit Nazis and riot police alike (3) ,an Oak Park, Michigan rally in which the pro-israeli celebration was crashed by the Action Group and a Lansing, Michigan rally held in conjunction with the Chicago American Nazi Party.

During the early 1980's, SS Comrade Danny Zettle passed away after a brief bout with cancer.

The official uniform of the SS Action Group was black and decidedly SchutzStaffel oriented. When the situation called for it, black motorcycle helmets and hand held shields (fashioned from surplus stop signs) were added to the uniform.

The SS Of America was a Rockwood, Michigan based group that worked closely with the Action Group for a brief time during the late 1980's, although one of the prominent members was also an official supporter of the N.S.W.P.P. Wes (the group's co-founder) later passed away at a young age from an unknown illness and the group disbanded.

Chicago SS Action Group co-founder Will Leinberger was sent to prison on charges relating to his alleged involvement in several incidents of anti-Jewish retribution and recreation on November 9, 1987. Will was released in the early 1990's but soon thereafter dropped from sight.

John Reich has apparently retired from political life as none of his past comrades have heard from him in well over five years.

Ted Dunn was sent to prison in April of 1988 on (non-narcotic) drug charges and was released from prison in 1990. During the summer of 1988, three rallies were held (respectively in Dearborn, Livonia and Redford, Michigan), with some mildly positive publicity being generated in the local press. While the violent rallies of the 1980's are largely a feature of the past, Dunn continues his activism (via writing and speaking at various movement functions) to this day. At the time of Dunn's arrest, this author and another young man known by the pseudonym Greg Strasser began a newsletter called 'On Guard!' which was set up to take the place of the Action Group's former publication, the Michigan Briefing while Dunn was incarcerated. This newsletter continued publication until 1995 when lack of interest forced its closure.

As with other activists mentioned here, this author wishes to express that Comrade Ted Dunn was and remains an activist/leader who has always conducted himself with loyalty and honor. Other loyal S.S.A.G. members over the years included Kenny Morgan (Member since 1979 and participant in some of the most harrowing street rallies in the history of the Action Group), Don Hunter (Member and street fighter from the days of the N.S.M. bookstores in Detroit) and Angel Summers (This member ran a tape and t-shirt business known as Angel's Action Gear as a side project for the group).

In the mid-1990's Lou (better known as 'Bones'), coordinator of the New York chapter of the S.S.A.G. passed away as the result of a heroin overdose. As is so often the case in situations such as this, the demise of the leader led to a disintegration of the group itself. This author only knew 'Bones' through occasional mail contact and as such cannot hazzard a guess as to why he was involved with such a dangerous narcotic. It can only be said that 'Bones' was known as a dedicated National Socialist among his comrades and should be remembered as such rather than as a 'junkie.'

Veteran SS Comrade Karl Wolf passed away from unknown causes around 2000. Karl had been out of touch with his former S.S.A.G. members and supporters for many years previous to his death and word of his demise only trickled in some months later.

An Identity Christian reverend with strong National Socialist feelings,Pastor Richard Girnt Butler is among the most durable and well respected people in the White nationalist movement. His awakening to the problems facing our Folk came during WWII when Butler (then a U.S. serviceman) was stationed in India. A dark skinned indian asked the young Butler why he was fighting his own people. Butler was perplexed and in want of an explanation, so the Indian stated the obvious: both the Germans and (most) Americans were of the same bloodlines. Although he did not then and there change his point of view, the plain truth in the Indian's statement troubled Butler in a way he was unable to deny or ignore.

In 1960, Butler joined Dr.Wesley Swift's Church of Jesus Christ, Christian in California. He would remain a close associate of Dr. Swift's until the latter died in 1971. In the 1970's, Pastor Butler moved to Hayden Lake, Idaho and founded the Aryan Nations/Church Of Jesus Christ, Christian. Gatherings (including Hitler birthday celebrations complete with WWII era Swastika flags adorning the guard tower) took place on the grounds of his camp and speakers from a wide variety of pro-White organizations made appearances there. The author of this article attended (and spoke on behalf of the S.S.A.G.) both at the 1987 and 1988 Aryan World Congress held there. In addition, the writer of this article has communicated via phone, emails and several face to face meetings with the Pastor and is convinced that he is one of the finest gentlemen within the pro-White movement (or anywhere else, for that matter.)

During the latter part of 1987, Butler was charged (along with the late Robert E. Miles, Klansman Louis Beam and several members of the Bruder Schweigen/Order group) with sedition (i.e., conspiracy against the United States government). A hotline was set up to provide weekly updates for all concerned and money was collected for the defendents across the entire spectrum of the movement. Complicating matters further was the triple bypass operation the Pastor was compelled to undergo in the midst of the trial. To both the system's and movement's surprise, all thirteen defendents were found not guilty on all charges.

After his release from the federal monster, Pastor Butler resumed regular meetings at his headquarters, seemingly strengthened rather than weakened by the ordeal.

The hateful anti-White powers that be never forgave Pastor Butler for winning in their own courts, and in 1998, they got their chance for retribution. Depending on who you believe, a young half indian woman driving by the headquarters with her son and, according to her, the car backfired. According to the guards at the gate (who had admitted to drinking alcohol) a gun was fired. The guards took off in pursuit, eventually forcing the woman's car off the road and interrogating her roadside. Although Pastor Butler had specifically warned all headquarters guards AGAINST initiating a physical confrontation, the resulting civil trial (brought on by perrenial leftist trouble maker Morris Dees) found him guilty of neglegence merely for being the owner of the property. As a result of the $6.3 million judgement, Butler was forced to relinquish his property in 2001. In typically Jewish fashion, the Church, bunkhouse and offices were all burned to the ground as part of a firefighter's exercise (who is the 'hatemonger' now ?)

Compounding his troubles, within less than a year's time, a faction loyal to A.N. associate Ray Redfeairn seceded from the organization at large, claiming that Butler had made too many 'poor' decisions to be the leader. At the time of this writing, the debate rages on within the movement as to which side is the 'rightful' heir to the title. Both sides maintain separate officers, websites and mailing addresses.

Your humble writer has no axe to grind with Redfeairn and his followers, however as Pastor Butler has been a decades long supporter of Adolf Hitler and National Socialism, and whereas this author has been a National Socialist since 1984, his support lies fully in Pastor Butler's camp.

At 84 years of age, the courageous pastor spoke at an April 20, 2002 York, Pennsylvania public rally in honor of Adolf Hitler's birthday.

Disillusioned with the path taken by the mid-1970's era N.S.W.P.P. in general and Koehl's leadership in particular, former party member Rick Cooper went on to form the National Socialist Vanguard. Through the use of a bulletin by the same name, Cooper reports on matters that concern both the public in general and inner movement circles in particular. Never one to 'pull punches', Cooper has both praised unpopular figures within the White nationalist movement and criticized those whom others would not dare to rebuke if and when he felt it appropriate.

One may disagree with Cooper's opinions at times, however there is little doubt that he is a man of character who serves his Folk as his conscience dictates.

In his 1987 book 'March Up Country', Harold Covington tells of an unnamed N.S.P.A. comrade who left the organization, renounced his Nazi past and actually lived with a black lover for a short while. One day, as if struck by some sort of divine ephipany, this former comrade put on an armband from his old days, picked up his semi-automatic rifle and walked down to a black church picnic. The system's goon squad eventually shot him to death, but not before he had eliminated several churchgoers in the fracas. According to Covington, this (redeemed) comrade's gun was still firing when he went down.

Obviously, the man committed a grave sin against his race for taking in a live in lover of a different race, however Covington states (and this author agrees) that, having sinned and seen the error of his way, his comrade repented in the only way he knew how. As always, it is not so much the result that counts when judging a person's character (a few dead non-Whites does NOT equal the life of one comrade), but the heart felt intention of the individual in question.

In a very similar event, 17 year old high school student Kenneth Wilson of Charlotte, North Carolina (whom police described as a 'Nazi sympathizer') fired several shots into a crowd of blacks before turning the gun on himself. One negro was killed in the fracas. This young man was not known to be a member of any particular group, however the fact that he wore a Swastika armband and made the ultimate sacrifice (however misguided and wasteful) for his Race qualifies him as a National Socialist in this author's opinion.

Former U.S. Army Sergeant James Burford served as financial manager of the NSWPP for an undetermined time before founding both the American Nazi Party of Chicago and the Old Sarge PX (the latter being a military surplus store). Plans were made during the middle-late 1980's to build a headquarters ('Fort Rockwell'), however these ideas were never brought to full fruitation.

The party participated in street demonstrations throughout its existance, sometimes collaberating with the S.S.A.G. of both Chicago and Detroit and Arthur Jones of the America First Committee. Jones later merged with the A.N.P., actiing as a second in command to Burford during the late 1980's. A bitter early 1990's dispute over financial matters ended Jones' membership in the A.N.P. Details of this event were largely left unspoken and no guilt is implied toward either party. Jones, a former Chicago mayoral candidate and veteran of many street action rallies, went on to co-found a short lived pro-White book selling company (the name of which this author cannot recall at this time) and at one time considered manufacturing and selling busts of famous racialist figures in history. The last word on Burford is that ill health forced him into retirement. Unfortunately, there seems to be no trace (politically speaking) of Art Jones at this time.

Yet another casualty in the early '70's N.S.W.P.P.'s purgings and defections, California resident Russel Veh decided in 1974 to do something that no National Socialist activist has ever attempted before or sense: Form an openly gay Nazi Party. Needless to say, reactions from 'mainstream' National Socialists ranged from shock to dismay to revulsion, and despite some off the record contacts with other parties, Russel Veh's National Socialist League remained largely a pariah among like minded (in the racial sense) groups. That being so, it must said that it is due in large part to Veh's connections and efforts that films such as 'Triumph Of the Will' can now be purchased complete with English subtitles. Moreover, it was reported to this author by another California comrade who had witnessed an N.S.L. street demonstration first hand that these brownshirts were among the most professional and well organized movement activists he had ever seen. The N.S.L. basically fizzled out by the mid 1980's, and Veh rebounded by forming a racialist video/book selling enterprise named World Service. On August 8, 1995, Veh passed away after a bout with pneumonia.

After resigning from the N.S.W.P.P. in 1976, James Mason joined the N.S.L.F. and soon thereafter became party secretary for both the N.S.L.F. and its partner, the N.S.M. In conjunction with his party duties, this Comrade also published 'Seige', an N.S. newspaper designed to appeal to young, action minded individuals. Around this same time period, Mason began contacting (and corresponding with) Charles Manson, Lynette 'Squeaky' Fromme and Sandra Goode, much to the consternation of some of his more 'conservative'/play-it-safe comrades. After taking Manson's advice concerning the futility of the 'left vs. right' political struggle, Mason largely resigned from orthodox 'political' activity and formed the Universal Order, a kind of Hitler/Manson based think tank. Unlike all other Nazi parties, the insignia for this group (designed by Charles Manson himself) consisted of a counter clockwise-facing Swastika imposed upon the scales of justice. In subsequent years, Comrade James Mason wrote several books that compare biblical theory to the tenets put forth in 'Mein Kampf.'

Perry 'Red' Wharthon, another National Socialist friend and comrade of Manson, was convicted of shooting a 17 year old alleged police informant to death. Predictably, the police released statements immediately after the arrest suggesting that Wharthon and his followers had drawn up plans to dynamite at least one sheriff's office, a dam and some other alleged 'targets.' Whether there was any proof to these allegations or not, there is little doubt that Perry fought the good fight for Race and Nation to the best of his ability. Wharthon later became an Identity minister while in prison and continues to speak out to this day.

In harmony with the N.S.M., the United White People's Party (led by Casey Kalemba) brought the message of National Socialism and White unity to Ohio residents via their combination public recruiting headquarters/bookstores from 1970 until at least the early 1980's. The front of at least one of these buildings was painted with a series of signs that read, 'The symbol of My Country, My Religion, My Race' with the respective symbols of the American flag, the cross and the Swastika. The Party also distributed literature for other organizations and participated in meetings and rallies with the N.S.M., the N.S.P.A. and the Detroit based SS Action Group.

This author has only met Kalemba one time (at the farm of the late Reverend Robert E. Miles in 1991, and no word has been heard from him since.

Originally a member of the Cincinnati branch of the N.S.W.P.P, Clifford Herrington moved to Oklahoma around 1975 to set up an N.S.M. affiliate organization called Local Group Rockwell. His involvement with the N.S.M. continued until at least 1994, although this comrade appears to have taken on a more low key persona in recent years.

In one of the more bizarre incidents involving an American National Socialist, Raymond Leo Schultz used cyanide gas to poison a Jew (the exact way this operation was carried out was never made public), then used the same method to kill himself. According to police records released after his death, comrade Schultz had been active with Commander Rockwell since at least 1962.

The ratio (1 comrade for 1 enemy figure) made this one of the poorer one man 'Einsatzgruppe' missions, although we must again remind ourselves that anyone who is willing to die for his people has more character (however misguided his or her actions may be) than 99% of all living people.

With the exception of the N.S.D.A.P.-A.O., the National Socialist White American Party in Pacific Palisades, California most likely holds the record among National Socialist groups (or any other White nationalist groups, for that matter) for the most literature ever distributed from one single address.

A simple request for literature would bring a manilla envelope full of dozens of 3" x 1.5" (approximately speaking) stickers emblazened with messages such as, "Rudolf Hess: Hero of the White Race!", and "Stop Black Crime!"

It was generally believed that the sole member of the N.S.W.A.P. was a fellow by the name of 'Jim' . This comrade either dropped out of the movement entirely or switched tactics as no mailings have been reported since the early 1990's. The stickers served their purpose, however, as thousands of our Folk were introduced to National Socialism via their small but impossible to ignore presence.

The late Johnny Sharbnow (founder of the National Anglo-Saxon Party and self proclaimed 'National Socialist') represents one of those movement figures probably best left forgotten, however, as this article is being written from a point of truthfulness, a brief mention is in order (if, for no other reason, as a prime example of the kind of person to avoid).

A resident of Taylor, Michigan, Sharbnow's "movement activities" included calling this author (and others in the area) and using transparently obvious, stereotypical 'accents' (Southern and East Coast style) while claiming to be different people, threatening bogus lawsuits against other comrades and speaking obsessively about bombs.

Toward the mid-1990's, Sharbnow moved to Idaho to join Pastor Butler's church, only to wind up being shot to death by 2 fellow Aryan Nations guests in December of 1993. The reason given was that he "wouldn't shut up", and while this cannot be used as a justification for murdering someone, this author certainly empathizes with anyone forced to deal with this chronic misfit.

Sharbnow's ex-wife attempted to continue the N.A.S.P. for a certain while after splitting from Johnny, although no other members were known to exist and there is no trace of the party at this time. No ill will is extended toward the former Mrs. Sharbnow by this author or anyone else in the area.

The New-National Socialist was a reasonably thick xeroxed black and white publication out of Melrose, Florida. This author no longer has any copies in his collection, however all issues were mailed in exchange for copies of 'On Guard!' during the late 1980's-early 1990's. German born publisher Hank printed articles of both contemporary and historical N.S. significance, and his views on Christianity were largely based on those of the late Church of the Creator founder, Ben Klassen. Sometime in the early 1990's, Hank called the author of this essay to inform him that his (Hank's) wife Gloria had become a race mixing prostitute and that he had the photos to prove it. He had also promised to send copies of the photos as 'proof' of her racial treason. Because 1. Hank never again contacted this author or anyone known to him, 2. The photos never arrived, and 3. Gloria denied the charges (before herself dropping from the political scene), we can assume that the accusations against her were false.

Around the time of the Randy Weaver/Ruby Ridge incident (Fall, 1992), a group in Oregon arose by the name of the National Socialist Front. Their political 'life' was extremely short lived, however this group did manage to put out a superbly detailed account of the Weaver family tragedy in the form of a one time mini-magazine.

On May 27, 1987, San Francisco area beautician Frank Ringi was gunned down in his salon by an assailant who later escaped. Ringi's partner had also been shot but survived. How does this relate to American National Socialism ? Read on...

After obtaining a list of White nationalist group addresses from around the world (sent to him by the late, great Ukrainian born White hero Joseph Dilys), 32 year old artist and historian Jonathan Haynes mailed out a professionally printed booklet titled 'Hakenkreuz: A Kaleidoscopic Vision of the Third Reich' This booklet contained clipped collage art that combined Hitlerian/Nazi imagery with nudes and religious symbolism. This was in 1991 and, after exchanging a couple of pro-White 'chit-chat' letters with this author, the San Francisco based Haynes seemed to disappear from the political radar screen.

Fast forward to August 7, 1993: Dr. Martin Sullivan, a well known Chicago area plastic surgeon, was gunned down in his office by an unknown shootist who had posed as a patient. As with the Ringi shooting, this incident seemed completely illogical and random. The car driven by Sullivan's assassin was said to be a Volkwagen (no, that's not the connection to N.S., comrades...) and, after stopping a dozen or so VW drivers in the area, the police detained the 34 year old driver of a vintage Volkswagen. The driver was Jonathan Haynes.

Under questioning, Haynes admitted to both the Ringi and Sullivan slayings, offering these words as an explanation: "I condemn fake Aryan cosmetics. I condemn bleached blond hair, tinted blue eyes and fake facial features brought by plastic surgeons."

Haynes was sentenced to death for the murder of Dr. Sullivan in May of 1994. At the time of this writing, this comrade is still among the living.

NS Kindred was the name of a small but dedicated band of National Socialists who lived in Northern California. Their spiritual leader, Josef (a.k.a. 'Jost') Turner published over twenty tracts all aimed at showcasing the Folkish side (as opposed to the confrontational/agitational aspects) of National Socialism. Declaring Christianity an "alien spiritual disease", Jost favored a decidedly Pagan view of religion. Although Swastikas and images of the Leader were used at times, the group strongly condemned public rallies and racial epithets as being counterproductive. Jost passed away on October 8, 1996 after suffering a massive heart attack on the grounds of the NSK camp. The group has dropped from site since then, either going completely underground or folding up. This author still has most of the NSK tracts, using them as reference tools to this day.

National Socialist Skinheads was the name of a short lived and largely forgotten group of comrades in Minnesota, Florida and Texas. Appearing around the early 1990s, this group sent out perhaps two mailings to this author (including embossed business cards bearing the group's name, address and a Death's Head skull) before disappearing into obscurity.

Donald Leroy Evans was thought to be a 'mere' murderer until he began confessing to multiple racially motivated slayings in front of a stunned police investigation team in in 1991. Evans recounted (with no trace of remorse) his slayings of a 10 year old asian female, a black hooker in Florida and up to 60 other 'minorities' across the country including residents of 21 different states. It is now believed that many of these reports were exaggerations designed to lead the system on a series of wild goose chases (a ploy which, incidentally, succeeded to an appreciable degree). Be that as it may, Evans was convicted of two slayings and sentenced (paradoxically) to both life in prison and death. Confined at various times to the Broward County, Florida jail and the super maximum prison in Florence, Colorado (once home to Timothy McVeigh , this prison is a place reserved for extremely dangerous inmates), Donald Evans used National Socialist 'theatre' behind bars in much the same way that Commander Rockwell (and others thereafter) used it on the street. His antics included wearing self made Swastika-adorned t-shirts in the prison, filing several petitions with the court (ultimately unsuccessful) to allow him to wear a Klan uniform and legally change his name to 'Hi Hitler' and assaulting a police lieutenant during a feud over coffee (the system cop's nose was broken in the scuffle and Evans was charged with attempted murder).

Your author and Don were pen pals from 1994 until the time of his death in 1999 at the hands of a black inmate. The alleged circumstances were that Evans was stabbed in the heart upon returning from the shower and died instantly.

A Florida Aryan Nations member by the name of Dave Shay assisted Evans with setting up a 'Hitler Hotline' and maintained it until he himself was killed (before Evans' death) in an automobile accident.

The organization that Evans attempted to set up from behind prison walls (The National Alert) never got off the ground as virtually no one on the outside would support it; in fact, when this author ran an appeal in 'On Guard!', virtually begging readers to contact Donald Evans, only two readers (out of perhaps one hundred) did so: An elderly man (who was legally blind) and Stephanie, a teenage girl in New Jersey (who was killed in an automobile accident on October 25, 1995). Shame on the other 98 (or thereabouts) COWARDS who did not contact this warrior for our Folk!

Don Evans/Hi Hitler will always be remembered by this author as a strong willed White warrior as well as a good pen pal/friend.

Longtime Michigan activist Rocky Suhayda hosts a website and phone line billed as the American Nazi Party at the time of this writing. Suhayda's current activism was preceeded by work with the European American Educational Association. Prior to this, he co-directed (with Reverend Ken Olsen) the Michigan chapter of the Church Of the Creator (which in turn was a part of the Michigan White Unity Coalition) and worked with Tom Metzger's W.A.R. and William Pierce's National Alliance. In the early 1980's, Suhayda worked with the Detroit headquarters of the SS Action Group. A dispute regarding missing Action Group property brought this collaberation to a bitter end.

(1.) Commander Rockwell had changed the name of the American Nazi Party to the National Socialist White People's Party just prior to his death in 1967.

(2) In December of 2000, a Ku Klux Klan group held a largely successful march through the suburb of Skokie (with police reportedly arresting 10 counter-demonstrators), although the publicity granted to our robed brothers and sisters was far less than that given to the National Socialist Party of America 23 years earlier.

(3) As a personal participant in the 1988 rally in that city, this author can verify the violence and chaos underwhich the S.S.A.G. was often forced to function. At least $30,000 worth of windows in the front of the federal building were shattered out as the commies hurled rocks, bottles and chunks of asphault, often missing us entirely. Injuries to Nazi comrades were relatively minor, and one P.L.P. associate was bloodied by an S.S.A.G. member and arrested by the cops after attempting to charge our line.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

last few days our group held a similar discussion about this subject and you illustrate something we haven't covered yet, thanks.

- Laura